You’ve probably seen these anti-scald devices at home improvement stores or hardware stores. They’re designed to prevent scalding injuries from hot water. How do they work?
Hot showers can be dangerous. Even though you might not realize it, a child under the age of three has a higher risk of developing fatal burns because their skin is thinner than adults’. That’s why it’s important to install an anti-scald device before turning on the shower.
To adjust a delta shower faucet anti-scald device, you’ll need to remove the valve cover plate. Next, turn off the cold water supply using the handle located near the spout. Afterward, carefully unscrew the lower housing until you reach the adjustment screw. Then rotate the screw clockwise until the desired setting is achieved. Finally, replace the valve cover plate and tighten the screws.
If you notice that you cannot adjust the water temperature in your shower unit, then it is because the faucet itself uses a separate thermostat. This means that you cannot simply adjust the hot water temperature from your tap handle. Instead, you must adjust the temperature directly above the water spout. Once you reach the correct setting, you must then let the water run for two minutes in order to achieve the desired temperature.
It takes about 10 minutes or less to adjust your Delta shower faucets anti-scald device. You will need the right tools to complete the job.
Set of Allen keys for lever-type handles;
Once you’ve got all the tools, here’s how to get started.
Turn off Water to the Shower
If you have a lever-type shower faucet handle, you will need to first turn off water to your house. It is not possible to remove the screw connecting the handle to the cartridge with the water still on, since you need to turn it upside down.Unfortunately, most showers don’t have dedicated shut off valves like sinks or toilets.
If you do, remove the panel to reveal shut off valves for both the cold and hot water to the shower valve. You will need to turn off water to your entire house if you don’t have the access panel.Dash to the basement or wherever your main shut off valve is located and turn off the water. Turn on the faucet to drain the water already in the pipes.
As I’ve already mentioned, you will have either a lever-type handle (a long handle) or a knob-type handle (a short handle). It’s easy to remove them.
- To remove the lever-type handle from the cartridge, turn it upside down so that a hex screw is exposed.
- Use the correct size Allen wrench to remove the screws and pull out the handle.
- If you have a lever-type of shower handle (with a hole), it will be connected to a cartridge using a Phillips screw. The screw is hidden inside the handle.
- Use a flathead or Phillips screwdriver to remove the lid, being careful not to damage the bottle.
- To prevent the knob from turning as you remove it, grab it with your left hand. Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the screw.
- Remove the handle. You may need to twist it out as you pull out.
With the handle out you can clearly see the anti scald device at the front. It is a plastic device with arrows pointing to indicate which direction to turn it to get hot or cold water.
There is usually a small round disc (often gray) that slides out as well. Sometimes you may also need to remove the metal sleeve (not thread) to give you enough space to work with.
- If you want to remove the set screw, unscrew it These devices are not identical. Some cartridges will use a set screw to secure them while others do not. Remove the Phillips head screw using a Philips screwdriver.
A safety device for hot liquids is made of two parts which engage each other like gears. To adjust the water’s temperature, you remove the outer piece, turn the dial clockwise or counterclockwise, then reattach the outer piece.
- Pull out the outer plastic piece (you may need to use a flathead screwdriver in some pieces) to disengage it from the outer piece. Turn the piece counterclockwise to make the shower water hotter or clockwise to make it colder.
- This is usually a trial and error thing so there is no standard of how much you need to turn the piece. Once you have turned it anyway, push it back to engage it to the inner piece.
- Slide the faucet handle into place but don’t put the screw back yet You want to test the water temperature to see if it’s what you want it to be or whether you should adjust it further.
- Turn on the faucet and let the water run for a minute. It is important to allow the cold water in the pipe to flow out before adding hot water.
- If you need to adjust the water temperature further, pull out the handle again and repeat the steps above.
So that’s how to adjust the shower temperature in a Delta shower faucet.
First turn off the hot water supply and let the cold water run into the shower until the water reaches a comfortable temperature. Next, turn on the cold water and adjust the temperature setting to the desired level. Now turn on the hot water again and wait till the water gets hotter. This process will take around 5 minutes. To ensure that the water does not get scalded, check the temperature frequently and if necessary reduce the temperature setting.
The Delta shower faucets come with an anti-scald feature that allows you to adjust the water temperature easily. The adjustment mechanism is easy to operate and the whole process takes less than 10 minutes. However, this feature comes with a few limitations. For example, you cannot adjust the temperature manually. Also, the temperature settings are fixed. So, if you want to change the temperature, you’ll need to replace the cartridge.